China Aug major copper smelter output edges down m/m - Antaike
BEIJING, Sept 10 (Reuters) -
* Refined copper cathode production by major Chinese
by 0.5% in August from a month earlier, according to a survey of
producers by research house Antaike.
* The 22 smelters surveyed produced 725,000 tonnes of cathodes last month, down from a revised figure of 729,000 tonnes in July, said Antaike, adding that August output was up 10.7% year-on-year.
* "Most smelting companies did not have maintenance plans in August, which had little effect on domestic copper cathode production," said Antaike, the research arm of the China Nonferrous Metals Industry Association.
* Most smelters likewise have no maintenance planned for September, noted Antaike, which projects a slight increase in output to around 730,000 tonnes this month.
* The 22 smelters accounted for more than 90% of output last year in China, the world's top copper user, Antaike said.
* China's National Bureau of Statistics is due to report the official August refined copper output number on Sept. 16.
(Reporting by Tom Daly, editing by Louise Heavens)