Teranga Gold reiterates 1Q output guidance; ops continue with safety measures
(Kitco News) - Teranga Gold Corp. (TSX: TGZ) reported Wednesday that its operations have not been interrupted by the COVID-1 pandemic, with consolidated first-quarter output likely to be between the expected 85,000 to 90,000 ounces.
Still, the company has taken precautionary measures, with employees at corporate and regional offices working from home and restrictions on who can enter mine sites. So far, there are no cases of COVID-19 at any of Teranga’s operations or offices, officials said.
“Production, development and exploration are proceeding as planned, and consolidated first-quarter production is likely to be between 85,000 and 90,000 ounces as expected,” said Paul Chawrun, chief operating officer. “As previously disclosed to the market, this will be Wahgnion’s strongest quarter of the year and Sabodala’s softest quarter due to lower grades processed as a result of pit sequencing.”
The Sabodala gold mine is in Senegal, while the Wahgnion mine is in Burkina Faso. While operations continue, admittance to the sites is being restricted and the company is building an inventory of critical supplies.
“The team has enhanced medical services at each mine site and ramped up infectious disease education, prevention and management protocols across the company,” said Richard Young, president and chief executive officer. “Both Sabodala and Wahgnion have entered an isolation period, and a team of national and expatriate staff have volunteered to stay on site beyond their normal rotations to run the operations.”