Antofagasta sells copper concentrate at treatment charge of around $10 -sources
April 7 (Reuters) -
* Chilean miner Antofagasta PLC has sold 10,000 tonnes of copper concentrate for June shipment at treatment and refining charges (TC/RCs) of about $10 a tonne and one cent a pound, three sources with knowledge of the deal said.
* The very low rate sale - done via a tender last week - comes as disruption to mine supply globally puts pressure on TC/RCs, which are paid by miners to process copper concentrate into refined metal.
* The concentrate from Antofagasta's Centinela mine was bought by a trading firm, said the sources, declining to be named due to commercial sensitivity; another 20,000 tonnes for May was sold at TCs in the mid-teens, two of the sources said.
* Antofagasta declined to comment.
* Spot TCs in top copper consumer China , which fall when the market tightens and smelters have to accept lower terms to ensure they have enough feedstock, are currently at their lowest in a decade.
(Reporting by Tom Daly and Zandi Shabalala; editing by Jason Neely)