Great Bear's Chris Taylor, West African Resources' Richard Hyde are Kitco's Mining CEO Of The Year 2021
Chris Taylor of Great Bear Resources (CVE:GBR) and Richard Hyde of West African Resources (ASX:WAF) are winners of Kitco's Mining CEO Of The Year 2021.
The winners were announced today, Taylor in the explorer-developer category and Hyde in the mining category.
"It's a great honor to receive this award on behalf of the team here at West African Resources," said Hyde. " was a record year for us. It's pleasing that our underground strategies went to plan, and our resources reconciled really well."
West African Resources produced nearly 300k ounces in 2021, and it is targeting over 400,000 ounces gold production mid-decade.
In the exploration and development category, Great Bear Resources' crowning accomplishment was selling to Kinross for CAN$1.8 billion in late 2021.
"[Great Bear] was 12 years in the works. Kinross was really pleasant to deal with throughout the process, and I think they realized the value of the project early on," said Taylor.
Kitco assembled a panel of experts to select nominees and winners in each category.
"Last year gold miners as a group traded down. However, both our winners were able to trade up," said Mining Audieances Manager Michael McCrae. "We congratulate both our winners. Mining and exploration are hard. We want to celebrate the success of those who succeed and inspire others."
Nominees in the exploration and development category were the following:
- Jamie Beck at Filo Mining
- Tara Christie at Banyan Gold (CVE:BYN)
- Alan Coutts at Noront Resources (CVE: NOT)
- Ewan Downie at i-80 Gold (TSE:IAU)
- Jeff Pontius at Corvus Gold (TSE:KOR)
- Chris Taylor at Great Bear Resources (CVE:GBR)
Nominees in the mining category were the following:
- Peter Bradford at IGO (ASX: IGO)
- Richard Hyde at West African Resources (ASX:WAF)
- Tony Makuch at Kirkland Lake Gold (TSE:KL)
- David Strang at Ero Copper (TSE:ERO)