Top 10 largest gold mining companies in 2022 - report
(Kitco News) - Kitco ranked the world’s top 10 largest gold mining companies based on their production figures reported for 2022 (calendar year).
1. Newmont. 5,956 koz. Newmont’s attributable gold production was flat in 2022 year-over-year and amounted to 5,956 koz.
2. Barrick. 4,141 koz. Barrick’s 2022 gold production was 6.7% lower year-over-year at 4,141 koz. Barrick reported that its 2022 production was impacted by infrastructural issues at Turquoise Ridge in Nevada and the replacement of the rock winder at Kibali in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
3. Agnico Eagle. 3,135 koz. Agnico Eagle's payable gold production was 3,135,007 ounces in 2022, up 50% compared to 2021 (2,086,405 ounces). The company said that its 2022 gold production was higher y-o-y primarily due to the inclusion of the production from the Detour Lake, Fosterville and Macassa mines.
4. AngloGold Ashanti. 2,742 koz. The company’s gold production in 2022 rose 11% to 2,742,000 ounces compared to 2,472,000 ounces in 2021. AngloGold Ashanti explained that operational improvements followed solid performances across the portfolio, underpinned by an improving grade profile amidst the ongoing reinvestment programme, and with Obuasi continuing its planned ramp-up.
5. Polyus. 2,541 koz. Polyus, Russia’s largest gold producer, produced 2,541 koz in 2022, down 6.5% compared to 2,717 thousand ounces produced in 2021. Polyus said that the decrease in production was primarily driven by lower production of refined gold at Olimpiada due to temporary decline in grades in ore processed.
6. Gold Fields. 2,399 koz. Gold Fields had a stable production in 2022, with attributable gold equivalent production of 2,399 koz, up 3% year-over-year.
7. Kinross. 2,200 koz. Kinross produced 2,200 koz of gold in 2022 (total attributable production), a 6% increase compared with 2,068 koz in 2021. The company said that year-over-year increase was largely a result of higher production at Tasiast due to the temporary suspension of milling operations in the prior year, and production at La Coipa due to the restart and ramp-up in the current year.
8. Newcrest. 2,163 koz. Australian gold miner Newcrest, the largest gold producer listed on the Australian Securities Exchange, produced 2,163 koz of gold in 2022 (calendar year), up 15% compared to 2021.
9. Freeport-McMoRan. 1,811 koz. Freeport-McMoRan produced 1,811 thousand ounces of gold in 2022, which is an increase of 31.1% over 2021 (1,381 thousand ounces), primarily reflecting higher operating rates and recoveries at the Grasberg minerals district in Indonesia, which is one of the world's largest copper and gold deposits.
10. Zijin Mining. 1,797 koz. China’s Zijin Mining increased its mine-produced gold output by 17.7% y-o-y to 1,797 koz in 2022 following the successful production commencement of key projects, primarily the Upper Zone of the Cukaru Peki copper and gold mine in Serbia.
|The world's largest gold producing countries in 2022 - report|